Have an idea on how to make Flic better? Or do you want us to build some new, clever integration?

Show off by posting your idea below, and vote for the ones already here. The more votes, the greater chance of us developing it!

I suggest ...

Home assistant, hub intergration

It would be nice, if you can intergrate the buttons inside home assistnt. Like the Flic Smart Button. If you have installed the library on a PI.

The configuration would be something like this:

# Example configuration.yaml entry
flic:
hubs:
- host: DEVICE_IP_ADDRESS
- host: DEVICE_IP_ADDRESS

After this, every button connected to the hub, would be a binary sensor like the smart button component and it would interact as a event trigger.

Thank you

28 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan van Helvoort shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Magnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One flexible way to integrate with HA and other systems would be to support MQTT, there is a suggestion for that

• John T. Slenderman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In general would love to see an easier way to interface Flic Hub with HA. A first party direct integration would be amazing, and personally I think it would open a large market of users to Flic devices. Not a big fan of the existing 2nd service model. While I got it working for a time, I've encountered a lot of issues with reboots and BL device provisioning when using BL presences detection along side Flic (with separate BL devices for each service).

In the least, I think if Flic released a way to update the Flic hub via a browser instead of only app based, it could help make the Flic ecosystem a lot more customizable and power user friendly. Mobile device configuration in general is sort of clunky and time consuming. Big deterrent for really leveraging the devices to their full power.

• Scott Reston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right. My idea is a URL builder for Home Assistant as one of the providers (alongside internet request). To make it easier to generate the URLs. The URL builder should be able to query Home Assistant's API to return valid entities, etc.

Aside - I don't type JSON in the app. I agree - too clunky. And the input doesn't seem to scroll back and forth well. I generate the text on my PC and use Pushbullet to send the correct text.

• Jan van Helvoort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment, I use only localhost services, no need to expose my api password. I know i can trigger every within home assistant through its api, but it is not ideal.

3 http request per button, is not easy to configure through an application on a mobile device, even worse when you need to type json.

If they have something like a web app, it would so much easier.

If you don't like to put your api password in the Flic app, you won't be able to use the API anywhere. It's used by IFTTT, Alexa, etc.

But, yeah - you're looking at essentially 3 http requests per button (not multiplied by # of hubs). For instance, call a script like:
        https://IP-OF-HASS/api/services/script/SCRIPT_ID?api_password=API_PASSWORD
        Just make sure you use application/json. It's not a big deal. You can trigger anything that HA can do with an API call.

• Jan van Helvoort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I intergrate the hub with the Flic service outside Home Assistant, I have a spare raspberry pi.

I have 7 flic buttons, then i need to create 21 http requests, or maybe more, because i have 2 hubs. If i have a portable button, i need to configure it on both hubs.

After that, I need to trigger events inside home assistant with my password as header inside the flic app? I don't like the idea thad my password is inside the flic app / request.

The Flic integration in Home Assistant still requires you to install the Flic service outside of Home Assistant.

The "internet request" provider has been working well for me. I think that, rather than integrate from the Home Assistant side, it might be more straightforward to have a variation of "internet request" that helps you build your API call. Let you declare your password (to be sent in header or URL), pick services (they can be populated via a REST request to HA). Basically, something that acts like the services dev tool, but from within the Flic app, making it easier to enter things on your phone.

Feedback and Knowledge Base