Have an idea on how to make Flic better? Or do you want us to build some new, clever integration?

Show off by posting your idea below, and vote for the ones already here. The more votes, the greater chance of us developing it!

I suggest ...

Flic and tp-link Kasa app

It would be get if flic worked with tp-links Kasa so you could control lights that are connected to remote plug sockets.

53 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just bought my first flic and can't quite believe it won't work with Kasa for my lights. Please make this happen, then I'll buy lots more!

• Randle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a reason for me to buy more flic. It would stop my wife turning the smart lights off at the switch because it would actually work straight away without the internet delay

• Sharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still looking for TP-Link Kada app be added to the flic list. Hope the Flic team provide an update ASAP to pair these two together.

• Dom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

kasa integration would be appreciated, doing it through IFTTT is janky - unreliable and slow.

• Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Flic recently made LIFX lights controllable on a local network, meaning very nearly instant control. Would be handy to have the same network control with TP Link & Kasa to instantly turn lights on and off

• Kallum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a solution to this without using IFTTT but it means dropping the Flic app and using Home Assistant.

I have Hass.io (Home Assistant) installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 with 2 add on's installed, first "Bluetooth BCM43xx" and the second "flicd".

This allows me to pair my Flic buttons directly with Home Assistant removing the need of the Flic app. This is useful as it means I no longer need to be at home for family members to use the Flic buttons.

I added my TP-link plugs to Home Assistant and created some Automation scripts so that it allows the use of single click, double click and hold. I use a single click for my trigger, this toggles my TP-link plug on and off.

Please note, you must use a Raspberry Pi 3 or Zero (not RPI3 B+ as Hass.io is not supported yet) as the Bluetooth add on only supports the chip in these devices. If you only want to use Home Assistant for use with the Flic buttons and TP-link the Raspberry Pi Zero contains the supported Bluetooth chip and is a lot cheaper.

Useful links
    Home Assistant:
    https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/
    Bluetooth BCM43xx Add on: (this is in the Hass.io “Add on Store” by default)
    https://www.home-assistant.io/addons/bluetooth_bcm43xx/
    Flicd Add on:
    https://community.home-assistant.io/t/issue-to-start-flicd-on-hass-io/22817/5
    Flic automation setup:
    https://www.home-assistant.io/components/binary_sensor.flic/
    Adding TP-Link to Home Assistant:
    https://www.home-assistant.io/components/switch.tplink/

I understand this may not be for everyone given the extra cost and additional scripting etc. but I hope this helps others like it did me. It took me quite some time to get use to how it all works but it was a great little project. I now have Home Assistant doing all my home automations with various products… Philips Hue, TP-Link, Flic, Tile tracker, Nest, Samsung Smart TV, Media boxes (Kodi), LED light strips, Spotify and Sonos. The list of supported products keeps getting bigger and bigger and the support community for Home Assistant is brilliant.

• Robert Share commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Control of TP-Link is possible with IFTTT. However, you can't control TP-Link lights using the Flic Single. Adding direct TP-Link Kasa support would be very desirable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please! TP-Link Kasa app should be working with Flic. Hope this gets done soon.

• gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Done! I figured it out. Created an applet in IFTTT to turn on/off my Kasa light. Then in Flic connected the click or double click to the applet. Works like a charm.

• gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Flic is in IFTTT and Kasa is in IFTTT, why can't we get these two things working together?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 10 tp-link kasa in my house, I would love to use them with flick button. Please make that integration.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no confirmation if Flic will work with TP Link or not. Guys can you please let us know about this. Thanks

• Ready Johnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the reason I bought the Flics. Maybe there is a work around with Tasker or IFTT. Might be going back to Amazon. :-(

Feedback and Knowledge Base