Have an idea on how to make Flic better? Or do you want us to build some new, clever integration?

Show off by posting your idea below, and vote for the ones already here. The more votes, the greater chance of us developing it!

I suggest ...

Raspberry PI integration

I would be really glad if it was possible to let my Raspberry pi connect to the Flic-button instead of my phone.
In that way the automation would work even if I am not at home.

268 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Allan Vestergaard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone share a instructions how to install and configure Flic to Rasperry Pi and can it be used without IFTTT

I do this on a Pi using fliclib and node-red, but it isn't easy or intuitive (though in the last week that I have had it set up, it works well, and I am very happy with it). If I were one of the developers I would put major effort into interfaces for the Pi and other dedicated always-on machines. I don't see the appeal as a portable button for an already portable device like a cellphone. I will never use the flic with my phone--its real utility is as a versatile, programmable physical interface to all kinds of home automation devices.

• Yes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anything Happening Regarding the lib? No Updates in a long tme...

• yetzt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why don't you just publish the docs? so we can implement the stuff we need ourselves instead of letting everyone wait forever on some hard-to-handle binary blobs. (and why did you deploy some complicated proprietary onboarding procedure in the first place).

i'm pretty tired of reading pcap files and disassembling machine code just to be able to make use of my hardware. it's one button, it should be simple to use and simple to re-use.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found Flic when searching, looking for a simple programmable button for home automation. My primary requirement is being able to talk to a static device in my home (an RPi3 will fit this nicely), so the fact that this capability exists is what just sold me on Flic. Going to buy some Flics now and get this party started. Thank you for this!

• Fabian Bergmark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Post a issue on github if you don't manage to get the SDK running, and I will assist you. That way other developers can see and comment.

• Patrick Fink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did you someone successfully install the Linux SDK on Raspberry Pi 2 + Rasbbian? I'm running in a bunch of dependency problems when trying to build and install the newest version of Bluez...

Am I missing something, or the Github release contains only a README.md file to download? :O

• Patrick Fink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Pierre DOMINIQUE: I think it's just an Android-Pi-bridge, they're not talking about a SDK for Raspbian.

• Joel Goldwein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a half decent Android bridge, suggest LC Optimus Fuel Phone which can be found new for about $20 (try Net10). I've been able to get 4-5 flics to link to the BLE, and combined with Endpoint Example App (https://community.smartthings.com/t/tutorial-creating-a-rest-smartapp-endpoint/4331) Flic: using an HTTP request gives pretty direct access to SM functions. No IFTTT needed.

• Al commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two routes to solve this:

1. add a BLE dongle to the Pi and reverse engineer the protocol, similar to the post here on Dec 03 (ideal, but requires a bit of deeper tech knowledge and some patience to get it right... make sure you share you knowledge if you work this out!)

2. purchase a low-end Android that you leave on charge next to the Pi, install the app on the droid and use IFTTT with webhook or similar to send HTTP messages to the Pi for each button push

The 2nd route is overkill using a whole phone as just a BLE-to-internet bridge, although you can pick up droids dirt cheap

This route would also have performance (time) issues; the droid needs to talk to IFTTT which then needs to talk back to the Pi. The round trip could take several seconds, which may or may not be an issue for you usage

It also has security issues; you would need to open up a port on your router firewall for IFTTT to communicate with your Pi

• lizard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea (and a few other SDK related ideas as well) is getting more and more votes, but not even the most popular ideas are ever attracting any feedback from the Flic makers.

I think this ideas section is mainly a fake and if we ever want Flic support on other platforms we'll have to reverse ngineer the communication protocol of the Flics and hack our own solution.

• Paolo Bianchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it'd be enough to have a node-red node for flic. It'd be awesome.
        Hope to hear from the team soon about it.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some sort of SDK please. This would allow RPi, general Linux, OS X, etc support. Having these buttons tied to an iOS/Android device really limits their potential.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base